October 5, 2013

Goodwill Dresser turned TV Stand

This is where this project all began...
A $30 goodwill find that I knew would be just perfect!- solid wood, that just needed some TLC to bring it back to life!, coincidentally, I needed a TV stand.

Lovely, isn't it? I particularly appreciated the high gloss white paint that was over the finished piece of furniture- luckily it came off relatively easy.

This was my inspiration:  I fell in love with the idea of texturing furniture with -yes- wallpaper!
You can check the original project at: California Callahans. Hers was an ikea hack, but any piece of solid furniture would be great.



Since I didn't need as much wallpaper as was in this inspiration project I just ordered a sample here. ($6  for a 20" x 20" sample vs $18 for a full roll at the hardware store) 

After I removed the high gloss white, I primed it.  Taking off one coat of white to paint another sI used Zinsser again on this project (no sanding required!) Though I did give it a quick sand with a fine grain paper just to smooth everything out before painting.

(Thanks again, mom & dad for the use of your back porch!)

As a tip, I have found that old shower curtain liners are my favorite form of drop cloth, but, back to the dresser...

I hope you noticed the hideous painted pink hardware- it was a must to update this for more than just aesthetic reasons, but if you do want to use your original hardware that's painted, here's how you get it off! (Unfortunately, these were still hideous so I purchased some new hardware for the drawers.)

Since I didn't need as much wallpaper as was in this inspiration project I just ordered a sample here. ($6  for a 20" x 20" sample vs $18 for a full roll at the hardware store)  I attached this with mod podge, and noticed some peeling, so I went around the edges of the wallpaper with super glue, just to make sure it was good and stuck. 

Painted............

For the hardware, I bought these oil-rubbed bronze drawer pulls on eBay for a fraction of the cost they would've been at the hardware store! 
 In order to use my newer and sleeker drawer pulls, I had to drill new holes in the front of the drawers to fit this hardware... Only slightly intimidating after everything was painted, primed and finished, but I measured and re-measured and all worked according to plan. (sorry, no photos of this part) 

 And voila!- the finished product!

I bought these cheap green pulls for the top drawers- which were great for about a year and am now coveting something a bit more elegant....


Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment