January 8, 2014

(Bed)Skirt-ing the Challenge of Cording

With the new headboard, and having our bed elevated on risers, there was no question that we needed a bed skirt. The idea of a traditional 'frilly' bed skirt disgusted me....Think baby girl pink, and with the smell of grandmas house. Ew.

Finding the best fabric actually took the longest! I think I spent weeks hunting around town at many of the local fabric stores and could not come up with anything! 


I purchased this gem at fabric.com. This was my first online fabric purchase and as I always do, I measured, measured again, and remeasured before buying the fabric. (If you sew you know that's one thing you can't mess up!-- I purchased 4 yards for my queen size bed, with a 20" height)

My mother has been sewing for many years and played the role of my assistant and teacher. First, we did a little online research on making a custom skirt sans pattern. This tutorial was really helpful!

After we decided that the geometric pattern looked better when the lines were vertical, we had to piece the fabric evenly so that the pattern matched up. I left the master seamstress take over on this one...

I had a little navy linen left over from the headboard project, and thought it might be nice to incorporate that into the bedskirt. Hence, the pleats were born!



(I thought this really raised the 'fancy factor' on my homemade bedskirt!)

After the skirt was finished, I had enough fabric leftover to make pillows. (See what leftover fabric will get you?-more projects.)

I had made many a pillow in the past, but wanted to try something different. I found some cording that I like – navy, matching the headboard color - and made my first attempt at finishing a pillow with cording. This tutorial was greatly beneficial.

You can see how much my technique improved from my first to the third and final pillow – you can hardly see the connection!


Here is a final view of my bedroom oasis completely made, all prim and proper! 
I think you can successfully say my sewing machine (last year's Christmas) has been put to good use.

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment